Saturday, April 20, 2013

The ups and downs of self-publishing.

I am a big fan of self-publishing.  It means that I can get some of my new favorite authors back list at a decent price.  There is however a down side.  First there is a lot of dreck out there and you have to wade through it.  Even if you find something by an author you are familiar with there is no guarantee of quality.  Those of you who follow my blog know I am a huge fan of Melissa Schroeder.  Ms. Schroeder recently re-released her story The Sweet Shoppe: Cowboy Up.  It has a new flaming hot cover by Brandy Varner Walker that is total eye candy.  The story itself is short but has all the steamy sex you've come to expect from Ms. Schroeder.  What I had issue with was the poor formatting.  It was really distracting while trying to read.  And it isn't just Ms. Schroeder’s work.  I find it more often than not in self pubbed work.  I have no idea what programs these authors are using but I do hope that the formatting bugs are worked out soon.  In the mean time I’ll just grin and bear it.

No comments: