Sunday, August 20, 2017

Reflections on a year of healing



On August 17th 2016 I was hurt when I dumped my scooter rather than hit head on the truck that pulled out in front of me. Having the right of way is no consolation if you are dead. It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining and it wasn’t brutally hot as it had been. I had on my Harley Davidson helmet, Rocket gloves and a neon yellow safety vest with reflective striping yet the drive said he didn’t see me. I was lucky as when I landed the helmet took a beating but my brains didn’t. I have road rash scars the length of my right side. There is a knot on my shoulder that still itches as though it is healing. I have a truly ugly incision scar on the back of my leg where the surgeons cut into me to put plates and pins in my leg. But I am alive to bitch about it. This year has been a roller coaster of emotions dealing with this insult to my person. I learned a lot. I learned that there are a lot of people who care for me and my well being. I learned that I am a really crappy patient. I learned that my husband has the patience of a Saint. He went above and beyond in my care. I’ve battled depression and pain and have fought to regain a sense of safety. We made the decision to sell the scooter both for my husbands peace of mind and because when I tried to ride I had flashbacks. I hate that what was once so enjoyable now causes me fright. But above it all I am grateful to be alive and walking around.   


Before:









After:





No comments: