Tuesday, July 19, 2011

On E-Readers, Free Books & Reviews

As a techie I’ve had an e-reader for years.  First on my p.c. then on my PDA and last year for the holidays I received a Nook. (I refuse to get dragged into the whole ebook v paper/ink debate.  I love them all) One of the things I love most about e-readers is the wide array of material out there and it is getting better all the time.  I’ve found some of my favorite authors when they were just starting out because they self-published their book in an e format.  And there is a veritable smorgasbord of free reads out there in most every genre.   

Recently I had an opportunity to download and read the first three books in the Laws of the Lycans by Nicky Charles for free from Smashwords.  At least I hope it is the first of many more to come.  Ms. Charles asked only that you review the books somewhere in return.  I’ve read some of those reviews and am appalled at what some folks consider a review. 

This is my review for:

Laws of the Lycans - book 1: The Mating, Laws of the Lycans - book 2: The Keeping, and Laws of the Lycans - book 3: The Finding  

From the title you can assume this series is about Werewolves and you would be right but basically these are romances with added difficulties.  As with any romance the crux is the characters.  In The Mating I kept putting it down because both lead characters were acting like idiots.  Then I realized that if I didn’t like them I wouldn’t care.   In the second book The Keeping the lead male started out really unlikeable.  He redeems himself but it took a long time to do so.  The third book, The Finding, was perhaps the best of the three but that may be because it didn’t have to do the world building that the first did.  I like that this is a series and should be read in order. I like keeping in touch with the characters from previous books.  I hope Ms. Charles will continue this series. 



No comments: