Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Angels of Darkness by Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews, Meljean Brook, and Sharon Shinn

Four stories with angels or angel like creatures.

                Angel’s Wolf by Nalini Singh – This story takes place in Nalini Singh’s Guild Hunter world.  If you love her Guild Hunter novels you will enjoy Angel’s Wolf.  This story doesn’t involve any of the major characters except peripherally.   Nimra is an angel holding territory in Louisiana for Raphael.  She has a problem and is sent Noel, a damaged vampire, to assist her.  A good short story.

                Alphas: Origins by Ilona Andrews – This is unlike anything I’ve read from Ilona Andrews.  This is by far the most unique of the stories in this anthology.  I usually have a time with the first novel in any series because it is taken up with world building so when you can read a short story like this and get through the world building too.  It just goes to show how talented the Ilona Andrews team is.  I’d encourage them to continue with this but I don’t want to them take time away from their Kate Daniels series.

                Nocturne by Sharon Shinn – This story takes place in Sharon Shinn’s Samaria series world.  I’ll have to admit I haven’t read anything in that series but I may now.  A thoroughly delightful tale of a serving girl and a blind angel.

                Ascension by Meljean Brook - This story takes place in Meljean Brook’s Guardian series world.  I’ll have to admit I haven’t read anything in that series either.  It too sounds like it might be worth checking out.  I like that the angel like Guardians are flawed and can have a crisis of faith.

No comments: